Despite the fact that Karlin Theatre still resembles a building site from the outside, only finishing touches remain before the reconstruction is completed next month. The main auditorium is said to be finished from ninety per cent and the remaining works are just minor details. The renovation and repair works lasted more than one year and required 630 million crowns. The reconstruction started after the damaging floods from the year 2002 but was needed already long before that.
The theatre will completely change its appearance. Even the former pink colour will be replaced by the original green. It may be rather difficult to recognise the historical building since it will be surrounded by modern annex comprising new technical equipment, changing rooms, a studio as well as a ballet assembly room.
The only truly historical area will be the auditorium but even here changes took place. The stage was doubled at the expense of a smaller auditorium. This is certainly an improvement since the fewer spectators will enjoy better view and greater comfort. This can be tried for the very first time during the festive premiere of musical “Producenti” (The Producers) with Ivana Chylkova and Martin Posta with which the theatre will be opened.
The “old-new” Karlin Theatre, which should be lit during the night, will thus combine the most modern technological support with precious historical tradition.
- Havel's play Odchazeni in London [September 18 2008, 09:40 AM]
- New Havel's play Odchazeni is a big success [June 9 2008, 13:49 PM]
- Vaclav Havel Play Odchazeni Premiere Tomorrow [May 21 2008, 17:53 PM]
- Odchazeni: the new play by Vaclav Havel premiere soon [May 20 2008, 13:47 PM]
- New play by Vaclav Havel [November 12 2007, 13:36 PM]
- Theaters in Prague are threatened with bankruptcy [August 29 2007, 11:57 AM]
- Vaclav Havel´s new play in Divadlo Na Zabradli? [August 24 2007, 09:32 AM]
- Theatres in Prague with English subtitles [August 9 2007, 11:04 AM]
- Faust in Vysehrad's casemate in Prague [June 29 2007, 13:10 PM]
- Contemporary theatre in Prague with plays of Egon Bondy [May 17 2007, 09:47 AM]
- Russian male ballet in Prague today [May 16 2007, 11:28 AM]
- Open-air theatre in Divoka Sarka will be repeated [April 18 2007, 15:12 PM]
- New play directed by Milos Forman in Prague [April 17 2007, 10:59 AM]
- The world´s largest scenographic exhibition in Prague [March 28 2007, 11:55 AM]
- Musical Angelika starts today [March 6 2007, 12:43 PM]
- Golem in newly reconstructed Hybernia theatre [November 22 2006, 11:31 AM]
- The Musical Theater in Karlin returns [October 6 2006, 09:44 AM]
- Karlin Theatre has the curtain back [September 15 2006, 09:49 AM]
- Finishing touches to reconstruction of Karlin Theatre [August 11 2006, 16:36 PM]
- New Puppet Play Faust [August 10 2006, 15:03 PM]
- Opera The Bartered Bride (Prodana Nevesta) in an open-air theatre [July 31 2006, 11:51 AM]