Prague hosts International Astronomical Union in these days. As you can read in our recent article, two and a half thousands astronomers from 75 countries discuss about important things in sphere of the universe. Whole world now awaits one of most important decisions for a century with hold breath.
Is ninth planet of Solar system Pluto a real full-value planet? This problem appeared in year 2003 when another relatively small object was found in distant orbit. This object is bigger than Pluto and has a name 2003 UB313 or Xena. Shortly after another six objects bigger than Pluto was found. Pluto is very similar to them and different from other large planets like eighth Neptune.
Astronomers must decide what the term “a planet” means. This will mostly bring changes in schoolbooks. Planets will be re-count and this can bring number eight or even sixteen. Some astronomers want to specify Xena as a planet, but strong opinion is that this “small objects” (Pluto has only fifth weight of our Moon) should be termed as a planetoid – a small planet, something between a planet and an asteroid.
The astronomical conference in Prague ends 25th August and world media hope that the fate of Pluto will be decided here.
- Klaus Denied Global Warming ... Again [February 2 2009, 11:26 AM]
- Czech European Chairmanship Logo [November 13 2008, 13:55 PM]
- Personalities of world culture and politics are in Prague [October 14 2008, 09:53 AM]
- STB Interrogation Presentation to the EU Chairmanship [September 25 2008, 13:30 PM]
- 'We will make it sweet for Europe' Video for Czech EU chairmanship [September 5 2008, 11:41 AM]
- Czech EU Chairmanship comes nearer [August 4 2008, 15:49 PM]
- Vaclav Havel Interview for Financial Times [July 7 2008, 11:49 AM]
- Ellen Tauscher comes to Prague [September 14 2007, 14:59 PM]
- Madeleine Albright in the Forum 2000 Conference in Prague [September 6 2007, 17:12 PM]
- International conference for democracy in Prague [May 15 2007, 14:21 PM]
- Dalai Lama in Prague [October 10 2006, 09:32 AM]
- Forum 2000 hosts Nobel Prize winners [October 9 2006, 09:47 AM]
- The fate of Solar system lays in Prague [August 15 2006, 10:59 AM]
- The XXVIth General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union in Prague [August 7 2006, 13:49 PM]
- Congress Centre for sale [July 26 2006, 13:57 PM]
- Prague is going to decide about the Solar System [July 24 2006, 13:29 PM]
- Mathematics in the Centre conference in Prague [July 17 2006, 17:22 PM]
- Prague as a place for congresses [July 12 2006, 17:16 PM]
- 2nd European Conference of Apidology [April 12 2006, 16:35 PM]
- Fifth Workshop on Treebanks (TLT 2006) [February 28 2006, 17:56 PM]
- XML 2006 Conference [January 12 2006, 12:44 PM]