There are two new railway tunnels built underneath Vitkov in Prague and people had a chance to see them over during the weekend.
The purpose of the building is to integrate Prague and suburban railway lines into the city´s public transport. The tunnels will improve the connection between Prague railway stations, which should make travelling by train through the city faster. The old tunnel used so far, will be free and can be used as a cycle-way.
The new southern tunnel will connect Hlavni nadrazi (the Main Railway Station) with the stations in Vysocany and Holesovice. It is 1365 metres long. The other, northern tunnel, is 1316 metres long and will connect Hlavni nadrazi and Liben station.
The first trains should go through the tunnels in two years. There will be more trains in operation than now and some trains will connect the city center with the suburban areas.
- Prague Public Transport Trains Gaining popularity [February 4 2009, 11:42 AM]
- Unique Bohemian Train for the Rich [December 11 2008, 17:55 PM]
- Orient Express Now in Prague [October 10 2008, 13:33 PM]
- Czech Railways – Tickets in grocery shop [September 25 2008, 09:55 AM]
- The Prague main Train Station Hlavni Nadrazi may not be accessible [June 4 2008, 09:55 AM]
- Reconstruction of Prague Main railway station underway [December 3 2007, 09:42 AM]
- No smoking in Czech trains since December [August 29 2007, 16:04 PM]
- First class in Pendolino trains will be more expensive [July 30 2007, 13:42 PM]
- Masaryk railway station in Prague will be closed during summer [July 2 2007, 11:40 AM]
- New railway tunnels in Prague already in 2008 [June 21 2007, 12:10 PM]
- Czech Railways has changed the timetables [June 11 2007, 12:23 PM]
- Czech Railways introduce new types of reductions [June 7 2007, 12:48 PM]
- Orient Express arrives in Prague [April 19 2007, 14:07 PM]
- Derailed train blocked the railway transport [February 19 2007, 11:07 AM]
- Polish trains cannot enter the Czech Republic [January 5 2007, 11:16 AM]
- New time table of Czech Railways [November 23 2006, 11:35 AM]
- Faster through Prague by trains [October 2 2006, 10:33 AM]
- Trains will be faster than metro [September 19 2006, 08:26 AM]
- Main station repair will be late [September 7 2006, 12:21 PM]
- More train stops in Prague [July 11 2006, 14:16 PM]
- Prague Main station will be strongly changed [May 17 2006, 18:06 PM]