The ex-president of the Czech republic and the former Czechoslovakia, the worldwide respected political personality of the 90´s Vaclav Havel celebrates his 70th birthday today.
Havel was born on 5th of October 1936 and originally occupied himself with play writing. He was one of the most important figures of the Czechoslovakian dissent during the communist era and was imprisoned for 5 years for his seditious activities. Later he became the leader of the so called Velvet revolution in 1989 and was elected to the office of the first president of the democratic Czechoslovakia in December 1989. After the separation of Czechoslovakia he became the first president of the Czech republic in 1993 and stayed in the office till 2003.
Tonight there is a private celebration of his tomorrow´s birthday in the St Anna church. Among invited guests are musicians, poets as well as politicians and businessmen.
Since today till 12th October there is a possibility to see state decorations and medals that Havel obtained in various countries. The honours are exhibited in Romanian embassy in Nerudova street.
- Jan Palach statue finally placed in the Czech Republic [January 20 2009, 15:12 PM]
- This Thursday is the USSR Occupation Anniversary [August 19 2008, 11:44 AM]
- Terezin Memorial Meeting influenced by 'Bronze Names Theft' [May 19 2008, 13:39 PM]
- Charles University 660 Years Anniversary [April 8 2008, 17:49 PM]
- Tropison Club celebrates four years [September 11 2007, 16:39 PM]
- 110 years of the Prague Public Transport Company [September 10 2007, 13:06 PM]
- Celebrations of Indian independence in Prague [August 13 2007, 08:56 AM]
- Roger Sanchez in Prague's club Mecca [August 3 2007, 16:47 PM]
- Celebrations of Charles Bridge already this weekend [July 3 2007, 11:48 AM]
- Charles Bridge celebrations start on 6th July 2007 [May 15 2007, 10:01 AM]
- Prague City Police will celebrate in the centre of Prague [May 10 2007, 16:02 PM]
- The Liberation Day in the Czech Republic [May 9 2007, 11:31 AM]
- American jeeps parked in Prague's Kampa [May 3 2007, 12:43 PM]
- Prague-Brevnov celebrates the 100th anniversary [April 25 2007, 11:38 AM]
- Czech scouts prepare big celebrations for this Saturday [April 19 2007, 11:31 AM]
- Velvet Revolution anniversary celebration [November 20 2006, 11:31 AM]
- 17th November - the national holiday in the CR [November 17 2006, 05:30 AM]
- Events on 28th October [October 27 2006, 13:18 PM]
- Celebrations on 28th October [October 19 2006, 18:05 PM]
- Vaclav Havel is 70 tomorrow [October 4 2006, 10:32 AM]
- 100 years of horceracing in Velka Chuchle [September 29 2006, 12:02 PM]
- Czech National Bank will host the aristocracy [July 26 2006, 14:41 PM]
- A new component part into numismatists' collections [July 24 2006, 11:39 AM]
- Havlickovy sady has 100 years [May 16 2006, 13:03 PM]
- Sigmund Freud exhibition [May 15 2006, 17:02 PM]