Lots of people gathered by the memorial of Velvet Revolution in Prague on Friday, 17th November. Most of them came to light a candle there or put flowers.
The memorial is situated in the National Street, at the place, where Communist police brutally suppressed the student demonstration on 17th November 1989. The police brutality roused Czech population and there were large demonstrations of hundreds of thousands people in the whole country afterwards. The situation led to the fall of the Communist regime in Czechoslovakia.
People gather every year at the memorial to commemorate the event, which was later called Velvet Revolution – because of the non-violent demonstrations. Most important Czech politicians put flowers at the place as well: president Vaclav Klaus, prime minister Mirek Topolanek and others.
You can still see many candles and flowers there, in the archway of the Kankuv dum (house No.118/16).
The Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day on 17th November commemorates also the events from 1939, when Nazis suppressed student demonstrations and closed Czech universities.
- Jan Palach statue finally placed in the Czech Republic [January 20 2009, 15:12 PM]
- This Thursday is the USSR Occupation Anniversary [August 19 2008, 11:44 AM]
- Terezin Memorial Meeting influenced by 'Bronze Names Theft' [May 19 2008, 13:39 PM]
- Charles University 660 Years Anniversary [April 8 2008, 17:49 PM]
- Tropison Club celebrates four years [September 11 2007, 16:39 PM]
- 110 years of the Prague Public Transport Company [September 10 2007, 13:06 PM]
- Celebrations of Indian independence in Prague [August 13 2007, 08:56 AM]
- Roger Sanchez in Prague's club Mecca [August 3 2007, 16:47 PM]
- Celebrations of Charles Bridge already this weekend [July 3 2007, 11:48 AM]
- Charles Bridge celebrations start on 6th July 2007 [May 15 2007, 10:01 AM]
- Prague City Police will celebrate in the centre of Prague [May 10 2007, 16:02 PM]
- The Liberation Day in the Czech Republic [May 9 2007, 11:31 AM]
- American jeeps parked in Prague's Kampa [May 3 2007, 12:43 PM]
- Prague-Brevnov celebrates the 100th anniversary [April 25 2007, 11:38 AM]
- Czech scouts prepare big celebrations for this Saturday [April 19 2007, 11:31 AM]
- Velvet Revolution anniversary celebration [November 20 2006, 11:31 AM]
- 17th November - the national holiday in the CR [November 17 2006, 05:30 AM]
- Events on 28th October [October 27 2006, 13:18 PM]
- Celebrations on 28th October [October 19 2006, 18:05 PM]
- Vaclav Havel is 70 tomorrow [October 4 2006, 10:32 AM]
- 100 years of horceracing in Velka Chuchle [September 29 2006, 12:02 PM]
- Czech National Bank will host the aristocracy [July 26 2006, 14:41 PM]
- A new component part into numismatists' collections [July 24 2006, 11:39 AM]
- Havlickovy sady has 100 years [May 16 2006, 13:03 PM]
- Sigmund Freud exhibition [May 15 2006, 17:02 PM]