Czech Government officially agreed with negotiations about the possible US radar base in the Czech Republic. The Government nevertheless set an important condition: the radar base should be integrated in the future anti-rocket defense system of NATO.
The negotiations will last approximately to the end of the year. However, it is not sure, if the radar base will be approved by the Czech Parliament. The Civic Democratic Party and the Christian and Democratic Union are in favour of the base, but the Green Party emphasizes the necessity to integrate it to the NATO system. The Communists and most of the Social Democrats are against it, so in the end the vote can be quite close.
The public opinion on this issue is not unified in the Czech Republic. There were already several protests against the radar base.
The Americans can already start some exploratory and advance work in Brdy – the possible location of the base.
Poland, where the USA wants to place the rockets, expressed its approval without any conditions.
Theme: U.S. radar base near Prague
- Russia: You Czechs Belong to the Eastern Europe [February 12 2009, 13:33 PM]
- Clinton decides to shelve the Czech Radar [February 11 2009, 11:21 AM]
- Schwarzenberg negotiates in USA today [February 10 2009, 15:26 PM]
- Russia welcomes warming negotiations with USA [February 9 2009, 13:56 PM]
- Obama Prepares Disarmament, What About Czech Radar? [February 5 2009, 13:49 PM]
- Russia changed its mind – no rockets in Kaliningrad yet [January 28 2009, 09:52 AM]
- NATO stood behind the Czech Radar [December 4 2008, 11:56 AM]
- Czech Senate passed the Radar treaty [November 28 2008, 09:43 AM]
- Czech Senate Approving the Radar Treaty [November 27 2008, 15:53 PM]
- Russia offered USA Joint Shield – This may be Turning Point of Radar Negotiations [November 21 2008, 13:34 PM]
- Berlusconi expressed love to Russia by aversion to Radar [November 14 2008, 11:10 AM]
- Obama is the President, will it change Czech Radar negotiations? [November 6 2008, 11:43 AM]
- Czech Radar Matter Put Simply: Russia or USA? [October 30 2008, 14:33 PM]
- The Civic Democrats (ODS) have probably last chance to accredit the radar [October 29 2008, 10:43 AM]
- Czech Army: Spies watch planned Radar indeed [September 30 2008, 17:52 PM]
- Vaclav Havel defends USA radar in CR [September 29 2008, 11:47 AM]
- BIS: Russian secret agents led campaign against the US radar [September 25 2008, 15:21 PM]
- Movie about US military base [September 23 2008, 13:54 PM]
- Topolanek: The best campaign for the radar was the conflict in Southern Ossetia [September 4 2008, 15:46 PM]
- Last Page of Czech Radar Treaty Soon Ready [August 25 2008, 09:49 AM]
- Pro-US Radar demonstration in Prague [August 21 2008, 08:33 AM]
- Opposers of the Radar had a big day yesterday. [July 9 2008, 13:57 PM]
- The Mair Radar treaty signed yesterday [July 9 2008, 11:34 AM]
- Questions and Answers about the US Radar base in the CR [July 9 2008, 09:23 AM]
- Czech Government welcomes Condoleezza Rice [July 8 2008, 11:44 AM]