Olympic Games financing, referendum and changes that the Olympics could bring to the Czech Republic, were the main topics of the public discussion, that took place on 2007-09-26.
Svandovo Theater was filled completely, which only reflects, Olympics are the hot topic. The for-site was represented by Prague’s mayor Pavel Bem: “Mayors of foreign cities ask me, why do we still don’t have a beltway? Beltways were supposed to be here much earlier. The funds for the infrastructure were decided long ago, but nobody made it going. Olympics is one of the tools for making it going.” Bem sees Olympics from clearly an economic point of view.
The question of finance interests Pavla Reedova: “I don’t say Prague can’t organize Olympic games, but the price of such an event is too high. Montreal was paying off the installments for 30 years.” She wants to be a “watchdog” of our Olympics, to watch the expenses. However Bem estimates the total price of Olympics 132,5 milliards CZK (4,42 milliards €) with the supposed yield 136 milliards CZK (4,53 milliards €). However those numbers become a laughing stock for the audience.
The audience sounded mostly against the Olympics, demanding the referendum. It seems it is going to take place in the near future. The reason to vote for is rising Czech world consciousness, against speak many obstacles.
Based on: MF DNES
Theme: Olympic Games in Prague
- Prague Olympic Society got 11milions czk grant [December 11 2008, 13:43 PM]
- Bem Plans Changes in Order to Win the Olympic Candidacy of 2020 [July 22 2008, 09:51 AM]
- Olympic Games 2016: Not in Prague [June 5 2008, 09:53 AM]
- International Olympic Committee deciding about Olympic Games placement today [June 4 2008, 11:45 AM]
- Klaus: Don't pretend the Olympics will be profitable [May 21 2008, 17:39 PM]
- Constitutional yard denied Prague Olympics referendum [January 28 2008, 17:05 PM]
- Czech Mayors demand Olympics referendum at Constitutional yard [January 22 2008, 09:53 AM]
- Prague OG Questionarie Sent [January 15 2008, 14:01 PM]
- Czech Prime Minister: Yes to Olympics [January 9 2008, 17:45 PM]
- Fate of Prague Olympics Will be Decided [January 7 2008, 17:55 PM]
- Prague Olympics Cheaper? [December 14 2007, 09:49 AM]
- Czech Olympic Games Candidacy was still not given Government Guarantee [December 11 2007, 11:50 AM]
- President Vaclav Klaus impugned Olympic Games [November 27 2007, 14:02 PM]
- Millions of CZK for preparation of possible Olympic Games in Prague [November 21 2007, 13:02 PM]
- Olympic Games Prague: Referendum seems Probable. [October 25 2007, 14:02 PM]
- Petition for Referendum to Prague Olympics [October 22 2007, 11:55 AM]
- Posters Supporting Olympics in Prague [October 11 2007, 09:59 AM]
- Czech Olympic Logo has Changed [October 9 2007, 17:43 PM]
- Czech Government Hesitates with Supporting Olympics [October 5 2007, 15:55 PM]
- Olympic Games in Prague, Fact or Fiction? [October 3 2007, 14:04 PM]
- Prague Olympics Discussion [September 27 2007, 14:05 PM]
- Mayors against Olympic Games 2016 [September 19 2007, 14:00 PM]
- It's official: Prague applied for Olympic Games 2016 [September 5 2007, 09:20 AM]
- Prague people mostly don't agree with Olympic Games in Prague [April 5 2007, 15:11 PM]
- Pouched marmot as a mascot of possible Olympic Games in Prague [March 16 2007, 13:15 PM]