The Day Lager was Born
The well-known Czech lager was made for the first time on 5th October 1842. The main reason was probably the brewing crisis, going as far back as to 15th century. In the city of Pilsen was not only good beer, that was mostly sold away from the city, but much bad beer, sold inside the city. In 1838 it ended in a demonstration, during which citizens of Pilsen emptied 36 beer barrels on the main square. As a consequence, the Mestsky pivovar(City Brewery) was founded.
In 1842, the first brewage of a lager, as we know it today, was made there. Its author was the brewer of German origin, Josef Groll. He combined German advanced technology of brewing, combined with our local ingrediences – unique barley, local hops and soft water. By doing so, he set the basis for the new type of beer, that forms about 2/3 of the world beer production. Pilsen Urquell became the world first international beer.
Of course, the beer preparation came a long way until today. For example, for the quality check was used a simple test – the beer was poured on a bench, and one sit on it, wearing leather pants. If the pants stucked, the beer was considered of a good quality.
Of which quality the Pilsen Urquell beer is today, you can find out in Prague restaurant Kolkovna, where the celebrations of the anniversary take place today, 5th October.
By: Pavla Kozakova
- In Czech Republic, man go 4x, women 2x a week to have Beer [February 11 2009, 17:05 PM]
- Christmas beers start to be sold in Prague [December 2 2008, 11:43 AM]
- Beer of the Year: KOZEL [September 26 2008, 13:48 PM]
- The Best Czech Beer according to The Times [September 9 2008, 13:47 PM]
- 'Czech Beer' to become a trademark [July 30 2008, 09:49 AM]
- Budejovicky Budvar – Budweiser – now even Bai De Fu [June 17 2008, 11:57 AM]
- The Czech police is going to give away free non-alcoholic beer [June 16 2008, 13:55 PM]
- Prices of Beer in Prague [April 23 2008, 17:55 PM]
- Pilsner Urquell is Cheaper in Germany than in the Czech Republic [February 26 2008, 11:49 AM]
- Czech Brands Advertisements in the World [January 29 2008, 14:59 PM]
- Pilsner Urquell International Master Bartender of the Year 2007 [October 16 2007, 14:00 PM]
- 165th Anniversary of the Czech Beer Pilsner Urquell [October 5 2007, 12:02 PM]
- The largest Czech brewery plans to rise the price of beer [September 13 2007, 16:10 PM]
- Beer specialities in Prague [July 9 2007, 10:01 AM]
- Beer dispenser can read the age of consumers [March 16 2007, 10:36 AM]
- Czech beer breaks records [March 15 2007, 11:21 AM]
- Czechs vetoed the increase in price of beer [November 29 2006, 12:45 PM]
- Diplomatic support - a beer barrow [November 24 2006, 10:06 AM]
- The best brewer and pub are in Prague [November 22 2006, 12:02 PM]
- No increase of consumption tax on beer [November 8 2006, 12:06 PM]
- Pilsner Urquell will be more expensive [October 17 2006, 14:58 PM]
- Old brewery returns to Celetna street after 600 years [October 16 2006, 13:32 PM]
- More expensive beer? [October 12 2006, 14:40 PM]
- New Beer of Czech Republic [June 13 2006, 17:11 PM]
- Kozel Day full of beer [June 1 2006, 11:44 AM]