Vaclav Havel, the ex-president of the Czech Republic, has criticized Klaus’ attitude to the building of National Library, by publishing an essay on this topic. The present president Vaclav Klaus has answered – by an essay. The following article is a shortened transcript of Vaclav Klaus’ piece, published in MF DNES.
Vaclav Klaus: I have already stated my opinion on the construction of the new National Library Blob earlier, and I don’t wish to change it. Neither I wish to interfere to the technically-administrative arguments, whether the project comes up to the terms of assignment or not.
I just want, as a Prague citizen, point out it is a debate about ‘the handling of Prague’. The often mentioned comparison of the Blob project with the Dancing house is erroneous, because it was a case of one block of one street.
What is much more important: we get again into an argument of the very foundation of our democracy, about decision making in public matters. This whole dispute is about private and public property. If a private submitter orders a construction, nobody will ever infirm he has the right to say whether he likes the design or not. And if he wants to carry it out, or not. Concerning the public constructions, it is not possible to say it is the opposite; it is not possible to say, that the decision about the project is a matter of professionals, or even a professional.
If I am not mistaken, it has never happened that an architect would enter a public decision-making like in this case. It is necessary to realize one trivial thing – the decision making of The professional committee is about the design itself. Decision about the building realization, financed from public sources, is a different matter. To not differ those two fact would be a fatally wrong.
Theme: Blob Library
- Two Buildings by Kaplicky are Going to be Build in CR [February 9 2009, 15:43 PM]
- Supporters of Blob by Kaplicky demonstrated in Prague [February 6 2009, 09:13 AM]
- Prague City Hall allowed collecting money for Blob Library [February 5 2009, 08:46 AM]
- Demonstration for Blob this Thursday [February 2 2009, 09:38 AM]
- The last goodbye to Jan Kaplicky [January 28 2009, 13:49 PM]
- Planned Demonstration for Blob [January 22 2009, 13:35 PM]
- 'Support Blob' Initiative Set on the Internet [January 21 2009, 11:23 AM]
- A Farewell to Jan Kaplicky [January 16 2009, 17:32 PM]
- Architect Kaplicky Died [January 15 2009, 17:57 PM]
- Kaplicky Refused State Prize, Disgusted by Two-Face Politics [October 21 2008, 09:43 AM]
- Money for Blob will used for Depository [October 2 2008, 11:29 AM]
- Parcel for the Blob Library – fact or fiction? [September 12 2008, 09:49 AM]
- New National Library Leader Supports Kaplicky's Blob [September 11 2008, 13:56 PM]
- Blob Library: The Leading Advocate Frozen Out [September 10 2008, 13:27 PM]
- Kaplicky Introduces New Environmental Building [August 13 2008, 15:43 PM]
- Blob dispute continues [August 12 2008, 17:45 PM]
- Klaus Celebrates – European Commission against new National Library [August 8 2008, 15:53 PM]
- The Blob library will be build after the elections, Paroubek promised to Kaplicky [July 28 2008, 08:52 AM]
- Paroubek's wife Prepares National collection for Blob [June 5 2008, 15:45 PM]
- Cunek looking for a billion for Blob [May 28 2008, 11:49 AM]
- Jezek to Bem: Solve the Blob matter Already [May 20 2008, 09:55 AM]
- The Blob Library has many foundation stones already. [May 16 2008, 11:54 AM]
- The authors of Congress Centre don't like Knizak's idea [May 6 2008, 11:45 AM]
- Kaplicky Adjusted Blob Size [April 30 2008, 11:55 AM]
- The Blob story goes on and on [April 28 2008, 14:02 PM]