Lidove noviny Brought an Interview with Tomek Grabinski, a Wroclav-living Bohemist. They ask him, what is it in Józek z bagien (Jozeph from swamps) the Poles love.
Which Czech music Poles like… normally?
On one hand the famous Czech pop singers like Helena Vondrackova, Karel Gott and Nohavica, on the other groups like Cechomor, Uz jsme doma and -123 min.
It is probably because of Polish TVN 24 broadcasted the video with Polish subtitles in a satirical show. The video than started to spread massively via Youtube. This week, there was even an interview with Ivan Mladek (the author) and the strange dancer. Poles just loved the guy in a weird suit and the lyrics.
What is it about?
Some say it is an ecological song; the civilization intervenes into the nature too much. Others say it is a sociological song – Józek eats especially people from Prague, which represents hatred some people in other regions keep against Prague citizens.
In any case the Poles like the fun Czech are able to make of themselves, fun which the Poles like, but are not quite capable of making by themselves. Some polish cities even have ‘Józek for President’ written on walls.
Ivan Mladek comments it he doesn’t get exited very much – he with his group has been playing the song for 30 years, and the thing that matters is, whether there will be a tour in Poland.
Theme: Funny stories
- Vaclav Klaus sometimes replaced by Vaclav Havel for Czech Chairmanship. [January 7 2009, 11:28 AM]
- Prague Zoo Keeper lost his bet with Gorilla, he lost less pounds [December 5 2008, 13:40 PM]
- Czech Etymologist escaped from India custody [October 27 2008, 12:36 PM]
- Man Wanted to Smuggle Grass-snake in His Underwear [June 17 2008, 08:56 AM]
- Prague Bank Robbed with Plasticine [June 12 2008, 13:57 PM]
- Husband and Wife driving car: His Blood alcohol concentration 2%, his wife 5% [June 6 2008, 10:00 AM]
- And that's why ... you don't sleep with the first guy you meet in Prague [May 26 2008, 13:55 PM]
- If You are the Czech Prime Minister, than I am the Pope [April 21 2008, 09:55 AM]
- Installing a Living Room in Prague Metro [April 16 2008, 18:02 PM]
- Power shovel dug out Fox cubs in Prague [April 2 2008, 16:05 PM]
- Ztohoven Art Group Trial Started [March 25 2008, 15:47 PM]
- Bakers run from controllors [March 17 2008, 11:02 AM]
- Five-year old boy crashed his car [February 28 2008, 17:44 PM]
- A Snake Took A Shelter in A Czech Police Car for A Month [February 20 2008, 17:52 PM]
- Czech Scientists at Antarctica found and eaten 50-years-old soup [February 5 2008, 17:51 PM]
- The Shortest Prison Sentence in History [January 31 2008, 13:34 PM]
- Why do the Poles like Jozin z Bazin / Józek z bagien [January 25 2008, 18:02 PM]
- Józek z bagien – 30 years old Czech hit loved by the Poles [January 16 2008, 13:45 PM]
- Czechs Won a Prize for a Very Curious Death. [January 2 2008, 11:54 AM]
- Czech Hearse driver caught with 3,58% of Alcohol [December 21 2007, 13:02 PM]
- The Narrowest Street in Prague is Equipped With Traffic Lights [December 20 2007, 14:10 PM]
- Famous Czech self-murderer shocked America [December 6 2007, 14:02 PM]
- Dog Restaurant in Czech Republic [October 31 2007, 10:52 AM]
- What does the Lost Property Office in Prague hold? [August 20 2007, 15:58 PM]
- From Prague to Karlstejn by metro?! [June 25 2007, 16:57 PM]