The old Klementinum, placed before the Charles Bridge piles historical, hundreds of years old books in undignified conditions, with the prospect of running definitely out of place in two years. The plan of the new national library Blob, which won the international contest and so should be already under construction so the librarians could finally be relieved of never-ending space problems, should have been their solution. But the matter is everything but solved. Klaus can be satisfied, though – he gets full media coverage, whenever he decides to drop a line on account of the award-winning project.
Vaclav Havel was a president of a different kind – the media just loved him, he made himself into a symbol of tolerance, peace, and liberation of ideas. He lost many years, health, and a possibility of conform live to communism, during which Klaus was already politically active, but on the other side. We know Klaus’ attitude for those long 20 years he has been at power; the only two topics he deals with are: Himself and critique of those who actually achieved something in the world.
When Klaus talks about himself, he praises. When about others, he throws dirt. Like this week, when he gave an interview for Grand Biblo: “I suspect a part of Kaplicky’s supporters of this bizarre project not because of love for the project, but because of hate for Vaclav Klaus, which is in the context of what could grow up in the centre, really an error.”
Allow me to now go through this sample a little bid. ‘I suspect a part of Kaplicky’s supporters’ – he refers only to a part, only a rhetorical device here ‘this bizarre project’ – the project won the international contest like e.g. the NATO central building, and it is bizarre? ‘not because of love for the project’ – who could love something he labelled as unfitting ‘their hate for Vaclav Klaus’ – me me me! Notice me, I am important! ‘in the context what should grow up in the centre’ – because of Klaus’ political pressure, there is high possibility the library (any project of the library) will be at the suburb, out of reach, which is just bad, but that doesn’t form a burden for him.
Klaus would like to shape the history, but the true is, a politician of his qualities will be forgotten as soon as he retires – he will leave behind no scripts like Havel, no schools like Masaryk, no great losses like Benes. This is Klaus’ greatest fear. History is written by winners, but to fight at local fights one starts is not the way it is done on presidential level of the 21st century. President is expected to fight for his country, not for his ego.
Added: How could I forgot! Of course there is something Klaus will be remembered for! During his era as The Finance Minister, when he reformed by privatization, the term ‘tunneling’ originated. So I apology, Klaus may be remembered for his failure as an ecconomist.
-point of view section doesn’t necessarily reflect opinions of the whole abcprague board
Theme: Point of view
- Fictive Atomic Bomb Explosion on TV was For Fun! [February 9 2009, 17:53 PM]
- Russian Gas Didn't Arrive to EU... Why? [January 14 2009, 11:20 AM]
- Putin Shows the Real Russia: Gas Stopped [January 9 2009, 12:16 PM]
- More Tourists go to Prague! Where do they accomodate? [January 6 2009, 11:19 AM]
- The Blob library only represents legality [December 12 2008, 11:34 AM]
- I am sad to say Vaclav Klaus doesn't have to care what he does anymore [November 7 2008, 12:39 PM]
- Save your money, sleep in hostels in Prague [September 11 2008, 07:19 AM]
- Vaclav Klaus and Georgia [August 27 2008, 12:19 PM]
- Vaclav Klaus was Complimented by Russia for his Critique of Georgia [August 19 2008, 13:59 PM]
- Czech Porn King Rosenberg was Released on Probation [August 12 2008, 13:56 PM]
- Prague – The city of Sex shops [July 30 2008, 08:21 AM]
- Klaus uses his Boycott of National Library for Self-promotion [April 23 2008, 09:58 AM]
- A Czech Politician talks about Global Warming in the US: This Time not Amateur Speech [April 22 2008, 15:49 PM]
- Prague Hosted Elite Model World [April 22 2008, 09:55 AM]