In the well known Czech movie Samotari is this quote: “…weed is not a tradition in the Czech Republic”. Well, that time is gone. A few years since the film was made and Czechs score high in marijuana consumption among the European states; according to the 2008 Annual report of EMCDDA, we are right behind Spain.
The most smokers are in Denmark with their 36% who admitted to have smoked weed, though Czech Republic has many regular, dedicated and young smokers, about 9%, who admitted to have smoked in this year. In the category we are second, the first is Spain.
On the other hand, Czech republic is among the countries where only 5/million people die a year from hard drugs overdose, compared to 73/million in Estonia. So the report result can be read as positive – Narcotics grow out of fashion. But we Czechs shouldn’t feel too accomplished – there is still a massive number of kids smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.
The Greens are, once again, going to present their decriminalization proposal this month. It probably won’t be passed in the parliament, as the parties are afraid of losing votes of more conservative citizens, however, the numbers speak clearly – to decriminalize marijuana in the CR will bring only a ‘paper’ change, as the numbers are already on ‘decriminalized’ level.
Theme: Czech law
- Marihuana almost decriminalized in the Czech Republic [January 8 2009, 15:26 PM]
- Taxis in Prague are going to be yellow only [January 5 2009, 11:39 AM]
- Proposal of Solving Czech Gipsy Ghettos [December 10 2008, 15:46 PM]
- Tying Czech Football Hooligans [December 9 2008, 13:36 PM]
- Czech Neo-Nazi group will be banned [November 25 2008, 13:22 PM]
- Czech M.P. Against Sex With 14 Year Olds [November 18 2008, 09:12 AM]
- Sex With a Fourteen? Doctors are against the new law. [November 14 2008, 09:19 AM]
- Legal Age in Czech Republic: Now 14, criminal responsibility, papers, sex [November 12 2008, 16:41 PM]
- Marihuana is Common in the Czech Republic [November 7 2008, 08:39 AM]
- Anti-hooligan law proposal in Czech Republic [November 4 2008, 15:46 PM]
- Spitted-out chews have cost 200.000 czk already [August 4 2008, 09:33 AM]
- Alleged police Murderer goes to court for killing American [July 31 2008, 11:24 AM]
- The new no-public-drinking law can be eluded [July 18 2008, 13:24 PM]
- Public Drinking in Prague Banned at some Places [July 7 2008, 15:55 PM]
- The police really checks if the new law is adhered [July 3 2008, 09:16 AM]
- Fines for chewing gums and pigeons feeding in Prague [July 2 2008, 09:50 AM]
- New Laws in Prague - No Chewing gum spitting! [July 1 2008, 13:18 PM]
- To spit out a chewing gum in Prague is now illegal [June 12 2008, 17:47 PM]
- Personal License Plate soon available in CR [June 11 2008, 09:49 AM]
- Parking Zones in Prague [May 28 2008, 09:55 AM]
- Vaclav Klaus loses a trial [May 26 2008, 16:03 PM]
- Czech Anti-smoking Law – new chapters [May 23 2008, 15:43 PM]
- Case of Prague Traffic Lights: Art Prize Abroad, Penalty in CR [May 22 2008, 13:49 PM]
- Czech Anti-smoking law too strong, proposals of softening [May 21 2008, 09:50 AM]
- Judges against parental physical punishments ban [May 13 2008, 17:49 PM]