There are groups who claim Kaplicky was knackered. People spend the day after his death by medially challenging his opposers. Truly, hard to say whether the dispute around the Blob library shortened his life, or if he died from happiness that his daughter Johanka was born to be a strong and healthy kid. At least he died very, very happy. I feel sorry for his wife, who is going to celebrate her daughter’s birthday with bitterness from now on.
Jan Kaplicky designed buildings in Czechoslovakia already, but, as a lot of Czech intelligence, he had to escape the communists for emmigracy in Britain. He gave Britain some remarkable buildings, which got ahead the whole century by its 21st century design, use of materials and energy. He didn’t want to return to Prague, because he knew Czechs are not ready to accept his ways. Unfortunately he was right.
After he was persuaded by his friend to try for the new national library and winning the international contest, Kaplicky was sucked into the Czech self-censoring surroundings, which he was prepared to fight. But he didn’t expect he is to became another Klaus’s stepping stone to fame, and his winning design was about to be crashed by Klaus’s influence.
Was it the frustration from us Czechs that killed him? I don’t think so. He was an artist who always aroused controversy, and he was ready to fight until the end (viz his Paroubek connection). The Czech Republic bought him much more – love to Eliska, his wife, he was in love like a novel character. His heart didn’t make it through such happiness, and there is a lot of people who is going to miss him. Lets remember him for what he has done for Czech reputation and architecture in the world.
Theme: Blob Library
- Two Buildings by Kaplicky are Going to be Build in CR [February 9 2009, 15:43 PM]
- Supporters of Blob by Kaplicky demonstrated in Prague [February 6 2009, 09:13 AM]
- Prague City Hall allowed collecting money for Blob Library [February 5 2009, 08:46 AM]
- Demonstration for Blob this Thursday [February 2 2009, 09:38 AM]
- The last goodbye to Jan Kaplicky [January 28 2009, 13:49 PM]
- Planned Demonstration for Blob [January 22 2009, 13:35 PM]
- 'Support Blob' Initiative Set on the Internet [January 21 2009, 11:23 AM]
- A Farewell to Jan Kaplicky [January 16 2009, 17:32 PM]
- Architect Kaplicky Died [January 15 2009, 17:57 PM]
- Kaplicky Refused State Prize, Disgusted by Two-Face Politics [October 21 2008, 09:43 AM]
- Money for Blob will used for Depository [October 2 2008, 11:29 AM]
- Parcel for the Blob Library – fact or fiction? [September 12 2008, 09:49 AM]
- New National Library Leader Supports Kaplicky's Blob [September 11 2008, 13:56 PM]
- Blob Library: The Leading Advocate Frozen Out [September 10 2008, 13:27 PM]
- Kaplicky Introduces New Environmental Building [August 13 2008, 15:43 PM]
- Blob dispute continues [August 12 2008, 17:45 PM]
- Klaus Celebrates – European Commission against new National Library [August 8 2008, 15:53 PM]
- The Blob library will be build after the elections, Paroubek promised to Kaplicky [July 28 2008, 08:52 AM]
- Paroubek's wife Prepares National collection for Blob [June 5 2008, 15:45 PM]
- Cunek looking for a billion for Blob [May 28 2008, 11:49 AM]
- Jezek to Bem: Solve the Blob matter Already [May 20 2008, 09:55 AM]
- The Blob Library has many foundation stones already. [May 16 2008, 11:54 AM]
- The authors of Congress Centre don't like Knizak's idea [May 6 2008, 11:45 AM]
- Kaplicky Adjusted Blob Size [April 30 2008, 11:55 AM]
- The Blob story goes on and on [April 28 2008, 14:02 PM]